Algoma Public Health (APH) is advising that an individual associated with Korah Intermediate School has tested positive for COVID-19.
At this time, APH is conducting a careful investigation to identify close contacts. Examples of close contacts include household members, people who have been in direct physical contact or belong to the same classroom/cohort, and people who have spent more than 15 minutes together within 2 metres or 6 feet of each other, such as while sharing a meal. Brief interactions, like walking past someone in a hallway are not generally considered close contact situations. APH will notify all low risk and high-risk contacts via letter to provide further guidance and direction.
APH reassures families from Korah Intermediate School that if they do not receive a low risk and/or high-risk contact letter, their child is not considered a close contact of the person who tested positive for COVID-19, in which case APH does not recommend having their child tested unless they are showing symptoms of COVID-19. We are working with the school community to review and confirm important practices to reduce the potential spread of COVID-19, including:
- Be fully vaccinated by receiving 2 doses of COVID-19 vaccine if you are eligible
- Always practice physical distancing
- Wear a mask or face covering in all indoor public settings
- Wear a mask or face covering outdoors if physical distancing cannot be maintained
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
Anyone 12+ who needs a COVID-19 vaccine can book an appointment or show up at a walk-in, pop-up, or mobile COVID-19 vaccine clinic.