On Saturday, August 18th, 2018, at approximately 12:00 pm officers of the Nipigon Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were advised of a theft of gas in Thunder Bay. The vehicle resembling the description in the theft of gas was later observed on highway 17 near Schreiber.
When the driver observed police the motor vehicle fled from police. The vehicle was soon located abandoned on the south side of highway 17, east of Schreiber.
OPP Emergency Response Team (ERT) are now on scene as well as air support units (helicopter), K9, and other ground support officers.
The public is asked to not pick up hitchhikers in the Schreiber/Terrace Bay area and to please call police if you notice anything out of the ordinary or suspicious.
Witnesses describe the driver as:
- Thin white male approximately 16-22 years of age.
- Short light brown hair
- White t-shirt with horizontal black stripes
- Long black paints
- White sneakers
On Saturday August 18, 2018 at approximately 9:15pm OPP units conducting the search located the male in a sandpit near Winnipeg Street in Schreiber.
Kyle WESCOTT, a 21 year old male from Calgary, AB was arrested and charged with:
- Flight while Pursued by Police CC 249.1(1)
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle CC 249(1)a
- Possession Property Obtained by Crime Over $5,000 CC 355(a)
- Theft Under $5,000 X 2 CC 334(b)
The OPP would like to thank the public for their assistance in this occurrence.
Latest posts by Ontario Provincial Police (see all)
- Thunder Bay OPP – Highway 11/17 remains closed west of 102 Junction – UPDATE - January 13, 2020
- 2019 Festive RIDE Results are Disappointing and Concerning - January 10, 2020
- East Algoma OPP Investigate Fatal Collision – UPDATE - January 7, 2020