Beer fans across Ontario can officially start counting down the days until the return of ‘Buck-a-Beer’, the popular $1-per-beer price floor that delighted people across Ontario until it was cancelled when the previous government abruptly introduced new beer price regulations.
“We were elected on a promise to reduce red tape and put the people first,” said Premier Doug Ford, who made the announcement while visiting the Barley Days Brewery.”This included a promise to bring ‘Buck-a-Beer’ back to Ontario. Today I am proud to say: Promise made, promise kept.”
Ford, who was joined by Minister of Finance, Vic Fedeli, and Minister of Government and Consumer Services, Todd Smith, announced that, effective August 27, Ontario’s Government for the People will lower the minimum price floor to $1.00 for any beer with an alcohol volume below 5.6 per cent.
“We’re going to do this smartly and responsibly,” said Ford. “We trust Ontario beer drinkers and other consumers to make their own smart, mature and responsible choices.”
To encourage brewers to lower their prices, the Premier formally launched the ‘Buck-a-Beer Challenge.’ Any brewer who agrees to lower their prices on or after August 27 will, for a limited time throughout the year, receive LCBO promotional considerations such as limited-time discounts, in-store displays on end aisles and shelf extenders, or advertising in LCBO flyers and newspaper inserts.
“The days of the government putting its hand in your pocket each time you buy a two-four or six-pack is over,” said Ford. “Instead we’re going to do what we said we would do and put Ontario consumers first.”
- The minimum retail price for beer was $1.00 in Ontario from 2005 to 2008.
- In 2008 the previous government decided to ban Buck-a-Beer by setting a higher minimum price and today the retail price floor sits at $1.25.
- Annual indexing for all packaged beer will be suspended to maintain the $1.00 minimum floor price over time.
- ‘Buck-a-Beer’ will not apply to draft beer sold in restaurants and bars or ciders, spirits and wine.
Latest posts by This Media Release (see all)
- Northeast Fire Region Update – May 23 - May 24, 2019
- NORPRO Expands acquiring Unique Data Solutions and Lucidia Technologies - May 24, 2019
- Nettoyage du terrain de soccer - May 23, 2019