Aug 31, 2017 @ 08:30
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Golden Helmets Precision Motorcycle Team was formed in 1963. Each year they tour the Province of Ontario giving exhibitions of superb riding skills at fairs, festivals and parades.
The 20-member team, comprised of OPP officers on regular patrol duties, consists of the Ride Master, Commentator, the motorcycle technician and 17 riders. Each team member must have successfully completed a three week motorcycle course and at least one season on motorcycle patrol. The members must be in good physical condition and possess a police fitness pin.
The motorcycles used by the Golden Helmets are Harley Davidson Police Specials. They have 1690 c.c. engines and weigh 800 pounds. These motorcycles are the same ones used on normal patrol. During each 30-minute performance the riders take their machines through a series of complex patterns, which are intended to demonstrate the maneuverability of the machines and the riders’ skills.
Although a nucleus of the team stays on from year to year, there are always changes and each spring new members have to be trained. The team executes an average of 30 performances per season, which runs from June to September.
The OPP Golden Helmets Precision Motorcycle Team is scheduled for:
- The City of Elliot Lake in the lower plaza at 6:00 p.m. on Friday September 8, 2017;
- The Town of Blind River at 1:00 p.m. on Woodward Avenue next to the Town Park on Saturday September 9, 2017; and
- The Town of Thessalon on Main Street at 12:00 p.m. on Sunday September 10, 2017.
The East Algoma Detachment is proud to welcome the OPP Golden Helmets Precision Motorcycle Team and are inviting the public for an afternoon with a performance of thrilling maneuvers.
Latest posts by Ontario Provincial Police (see all)
- Hunting Begins – Remember Hunter Safety! - September 15, 2017
- Results of OPP Distracted Driving Campaign over Labour Day Long Weekend - September 8, 2017
- OPP to host Two Anti-Human Trafficking Conferences - September 8, 2017