The Kirkland Lake Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) reminds parents that they have an important role to play in ensuring their children’s safety with strangers.
The obvious conversation that parents should have with their children is to teach them stranger danger. Strangers don’t always have a rough appearance and can appear to be perfectly normal. Here are some important tips for children and their parents.
Safety tips for children:
- Know your name, address and phone number
- Learn how and when to call 911
- If you are scared of someone run to safety
- Avoid any shortcuts when you are walking from one place to another
- Have a “call list” and know how and when to use it
- Never talk to people online without your parents’ permission
Tips for parents:
- Work hard to establish trust and communication with your children
- Make sure you know how to find or contact your children at all times
- Take an active role in your children’s activities
- Don’t ever leave children unattended in a vehicle, whether it is running or not
“Children are vulnerable, it’s up to parents to do all they can do to protect them and ensure their safety “, says Kirkland Lake OPP Detachment Commander Staff Sergeant Rick Witty.